December 17, 2017

The Holiday Boyfriend | Spoiler-Free Review

As I sit here typing this, Frozen is playing in the background, How the Grinch Stole Christmas having preceded it, and several Hallmark movies before that. Along with the Christmas movies, I have been doing Christmas cards for my friends, and even a few authors who I have to come to call my friends as well. Of course I have purchased a couple gifts for the closest of my friends and my immediate family, but you may understand the position I'm in. Practically everything I have been doing these past few weeks has been related, in some way, to getting into the Christmas Spirit. For me, getting into it is always a little tough since school is usually craziest around this time of year with midterm exams, but I take advantage of every opportunity to try in get in the Christmas Spirit. If you're like me, well, you're in luck, because I have a possible solution for you.

It's called The Holiday Boyfriend, and it is written by the lovely Christina Benjamin, one of the authors I am lucky enough to call one of my friends.
This book opens with a fashion blogger named Emma traveling back to New York City. Emma and her mother moved away from New York City after her father was involved in affair, and this is Emma's first time being back. Though, her father wasn't the only reason she decided to go with her mother to Boston. The other reason is named Will, a boy who supposedly broke her heart, though the reader does not know how.

Will is practically living alone, besides his housekeeper and "adoptive" mom. His parents are off traveling the world without him, and all his siblings are years older than him, leaving him to wonder if he will have to face Christmas alone for the first time in his life. That's when Emma shows up on the floor of his apartment building. Emma, the girl who left him waiting in the cold at the prior year's winter formal, and who left New York City without an explanation, or even a goodbye.

This book is the fourth in The Boyfriend Series by Christina Benjamin, though they can be read by themselves, in mixed-up order, or in order. I actually read this one before the third book because I wanted to read a good holiday book, and I got much, much more than I was expecting.

Drop your notions now that this is just another cheesy Christmas romance book. Yes, there are moments of almost-romance, but they are constantly ruined by intense quarrels and rifts between the love interests, caused by Emma's lack of communication with Will and their inability to talk about why she really left the Big Apple.. There is also an adorable child named Colin who shows Emma that even Dothraki-speaking little boys can teach her some of life's greatest lessons, like not being afraid to say her feelings, no matter what the outcome may be. Emma's father initially seems like an inconsiderate a**hole, and rightly so. But nonetheless, what are good books without antagonists of some sort, right?

I absolutely ADORED this book, and it has caused me to gain an obsession over mistletoe, and the recreational hobby that usually takes place underneath it. Sadly, I think I will be spending Christmas alone again this year and won't get to experience kissing someone under the mistletoe, but nonetheless, I am excited to spend time with my mother and her boyfriend, as well as my grandparents when we travel down to Florida.

If you're needing a holiday read to put you in the Christmas Spirit, you can order The Holiday Boyfriend, as well as the preceding books in the series, by clicking any of the links below. Also linked is Christina's Pinterest board for The Holiday Boyfriend.

The Holiday Boyfriend on Amazon
The Holiday Boyfriend on Barnes & Noble
The Holiday Boyfriend (Signed/Special Edition) by Crown Atlantic Publishing
The Boyfriend Series on Amazon
The Boyfriend Series on Barnes & Noble
The Boyfriend Series (Signed/Special Editions) by Crown Atlantic Publishing
The Holiday Boyfriend on Pinterest

That is all for this blog post, my lovelies. Don't forget to subscribe to my blog with your email if you haven't already, and follow me on Instagram @thebooklioness. If you are an author and have any inquiries about having me review your work, direct message me on Instagram, or email be at thebooklionessblog@gmail.com.

If this is my last blog post before Christmas, I want to wish every single one of you Book Cubs a very merry, safe, beautiful, and family-filled Christmas. To those who do not celebrate Christmas, Happy Belated Hanukkah, Joyous Kwanzaa, and Happy Holidays!

💝 Catheryn, The Book Lioness

No comments:

Post a Comment